Friday, March 26, 2010

Heathers and Mean Girls

Betty Finn was a true friend and I sold her out for a bunch of Swatch dogs and Diet Coke heads. Veronica Sawyer in Heathers

Me? I wanted to be kind of like a Heather. Pretty, popular, on the student council. An bookishly preppily femme Queen of the School. Yeah I was stupid, but don't worry, I got better. Not that would have let me in anyway, being a nerdy guy for all that they knew.

Veronica is the real hero, sort of, of the film. And yes, Veronica Sawyer did inspire my name.

There were "Heathers" at my school too, but unlike the Heathers or the Plastics in the Mean Girls film, they didn't wear skirts. What is with that, anyway. It seems in films the Meanie girls are always skirt wearing femmes. They weren't at my school. Well poo on that, I'm a femme, and I'm not Mean...usually.

And yes, the Meanie girls need to be taken down a notch....but that usually happens a few years after graduation. You may be "top girl" at Farmville High, but at Big State Uni, you're nobody. So wacking them with drain cleaner is not necessary.

As for why Mean Girls exist and what we should do about them...others smarter than me have written books about it. You're better off reading them. But most Meanies build up their power base over years so all you have to do is shut them down while they're young. Make sure the Proto-Mean Girl doesn't get to monopolize leadership positions, have an open policy towards sports/cheerleading (ie let everyone who tries out in), and clamp down on the subtle bullying the Meanies do. You also have to make certain the teachers themselves don't show favoritism to the future meanies, coz sometimes they do.

Heathers and Mean Girls are fun films to watch, and well worth owning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home